Your Septic System = Your Responsibility
Maintaining your septic system is Your Responsibility. Each Park Rapids, MN homeowner with a private septic system must pay attention to the proper care and maintenance of their own sewage system. Proper maintenance just makes good sense for the protection of your Family, the Environment and the investment in your Home.
Reasons To Maintain Your Septic System
- Save Money on expensive repairs or replacement of septic system
- Protecting the Health of Your Family from infection and disease
- Preventing Contamination of ground water and Drinking Water
- Protect Environment, including lakes & rivers, from Untreated Sewage
- Resale Value of your home Park Rapids, MN home will Decrease with a faulty septic system
Now you know how important it is to properly maintain you septic system. The following are Do’s and Don’ts for the care and maintenance of your Park Rapids, MN private sewage treatment system.
- Timely Inspections by a Licensed Septic Professional, every 1-3 Years depending on the type of system
- Regular Pumping of the Septic Tank every 2-3 Year
- Check Septic Filters at least every 6 months and clean screen when indicated by inspection
- Install Lint Traps on washing machine to decrease fibers entering system
- Use Liquid Laundry Detergent only
- Limit the use of Bleach to 1 Load of laundry per week
- Spread out loads of laundry throughout the week to avoid overwhelming the system with too much water at one time
- Maintain low maintenance Ground Cover over drainfield or mound system
- If possible, replace inefficient toilets with High-Efficiency Toilets that use less water when flushing
- Consider Reducing the amount of Water in Toilet tank
- Install High-Efficiency Shower Heads & fix Leaky Faucets
- Don’t Flush the following items down the toilet: Feminine Hygiene products, Dental Floss, Cigarette Butts, Condoms, Cat Litter, Paper Towels, Diapers, Cotton Swabs, Coffee Grounds… You get it – pretty much only flush human waste and toilet paper!
- Never Pour damaging products down the drain – such as Oil, Pesticides, Paint, Antifreeze, excess Cooking Oils or Fats.
- Don’t Overload your system by sending too much water into your sewer all at the same time.
- Don’t direct Downspouts or hose from Sump Pump onto Septic System.
- Limit use of Chemicals and Anti-Bacterial soaps and cleansers.
- Don’t Plant Trees or Shrubs on top of septic system.
- Don’t Drive, Park or Build on top of private sewage treatment system.
- Don’t overuse Garbage Disposals.
- Don’t dump unnecessary water from Water Softener down drain.
- Avoid draining Hot Tubs or Pools into sewer system.
- Do Not use unnecessary water if your septic system is flooded from excessive rains.
Contact A Licensed Septic System Professional
With the proper care and maintenance, your Park Rapids, MN septic system can safely and effectively treat sewage for many, many years.
If you have questions regarding what you should Do or Not Do to properly maintain your private septic sewage system, contact a Licensed Septic Professional like Brad Krotzer at Custom Septic Inc. (CSI).
Brad is here to help you with the care and maintenance of your septic system. He will personally inspect your system and is Licensed, Insured and Bonded to repair your sewage system or install a new efficient septic system for your Park Rapids, MN home.