Septic System Care & Maintenance Guide
After reading Part 1 of this series you probably have a better understanding of Why Sewage is Treated and How a typical Septic System Works. Part 2 will be taking a look at Septic System Care and Maintenance. We will also cover what Sewer System Maintenance Records to keep on hand. Of course you can contact Custom Septic Inc. (CSI) at any time to get more information or to schedule an appointment for a Septic System Inspection or Repair. CSI provides Affordable Septic Services for St Francis MN property owners as well as other Minnesota communities.
10 Tips for Maintaining Healthy Sewer System
In order for your little backyard sewage treatment plant to work correctly and remain healthy it requires some Basic Care and Maintenance. Fortunately, the cost to Maintain a Healthy Private Sewer System is pretty cheap compared to what others pay for a centralized municipal sewer system.
- Have the Septic System Inspected Annually or at least once every 3 years to see when it needs to be pumped out and cleaned.
- Frequent Pumping will remove the scum and sludge that builds up inside of the tank. Don’t wait until you have a clogged drainfield or sewage backup to call a pumping technician.
- Avoid Overloading the septic system with too much wastewater. Doing things like spreading out loads of laundry and fixing leaky plumbing fixtures can save you money.
- Garbage Disposals should be used very minimally as they are known to disrupt the wastewater treatment process and clog up the tank with food scraps.
- Bacteria Killing Soaps and Cleaners should be used sparingly to avoid killing off the beneficial bacteria needed for the natural sewage treatment process.
- Don’t Flush That! Make sure that your family and guests know not to use the toilet as a garbage can. Only flush human waste and toilet paper. Even flushable wipes can clog up a septic system and cost lots to repair.
- Don’t Use Septic Tank Additives or Chemicals that can be very harmful to the organic treatment process. Just let nature run its course and let a trained septic professional check for healthy levels of bacteria.
- Grow Low Maintenance Ground Cover on top of the drainfield and soil treatment areas. This will help to prevent errosion and provide insulation from Minnesota’s cold temps.
- Never Drive, Build or Park on top of septic system components. The weight of a vehicle can damage underground sewer pipes and compact the soil.
- Keep track of Maintenance Records including location of septic tank and drainfield, dates when septic tank is pumped out, inspection notes and who to call if you suspect a septic system failure . Hint: Custom Septic Inc. (CSI)
Affordable Septic System Services
Don’t hesitate to call Custom Septic Inc. (CSI) to schedule an appointment for an Inspection, Repair or Free Estimate on a Septic System Upgrade. We are here to help you in any way we can because at Custom Septic Inc. (CSI) we understand how important it is to Maintain a Healthy Septic System.
In St Francis and East Bethel MN, contact Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) for a Free Estimate on Professional Septic Services at 763-218-4769