Prevent Septic System Freezing in the New Year
Oh, the weather outside is frightful and the next round of arctic air is on its way for 2017. Ok, so it doesn’t rhyme but any hearty Brainerd MN resident knows what we mean. Winters can be quite brutal in the northland and Septic System Freezing can be a real problem. Be prepared for frigid temps and Welcome Friends, Family and Guests without the worry of Sewer Problems dampening the celebrations. It all starts with a good Septic System Maintenance plan.
CSI Custom Septic, Inc. can provide peace of mind as we say Goodbye to 2016 and Hello 2017! Simply follow the advice listed below and Frozen Sewer Lines should not be an issue.
Winter Septic System Maintenance
Septic System Care & Maintenance does not have to be difficult or expensive. Brainerd MN home and cabin owners with an on-site sewage system must pay attention to the overall health of the operation if they want to avoid issues like a Frozen Sewer Line or Sewage Backup at the worst possible moment. Caring for the sewer system year round is the best way to make it through a frosty Northern Minnesota winter without a Sewer Malfunction.
CSI Custom Septic, Inc. recommends that you keep a regular Septic Maintenance Log that includes the location of the Septic Tank and each time it has had the solids pumped out. An Annual Checkup by a Licensed Septic Contractor will provide you with a nice snapshot of the condition of the tank, pipes and absorption field.
Septic System Winter Preparation
If you have guests arriving for 2017 New Years Day or a winter getaway then you may want to prepare your septic tank for an increase in water. Nobody wants to deal with an overflowing toilet after an exciting day of snowmobiling or building snowmen. But, very cold temperatures can lead to Frozen Sewer Pipes if you haven’t prepared for the next polar vortex that could be ushering in the new year.
- Get a septic tank inspection by a qualified professional to know if its time to have the tank emptied before guests arrive
- Update plumbing fixtures with more efficient faucets, toilets or showerheads
- Keep a deep layer of snow, straw or mulch over the septic tank and drainfield as insulation from the cold winter air
- Conserve water by taking shorter showers, washing only full loads of laundry and spread out loads over the duration of the duration of the week
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly
- Avoid antibacterial soaps that kill off essential bacteria inside of the septic tank and beyond
- Limit how much chemicals are allowed to enter into the septic system and don’t waste your money on septic tank additives
- Post a polite sign that reminds family and friends of what can or cannot be safely flushed down the toilet (only human waste, water and toilet paper)
Licensed Septic Contractor
As a Licensed Septic Contractor in the great state of Minnesota, CSI Custom Septic, Inc. provides excellent service and support to our valued customers. CSI is an expert in Septic System Care and Maintenance for freezing cold winter conditions. Call us to schedule a Septic System Inspection so that you can avoid Frozen Sewer Lines or an Overflowing Toilet. Check out the Maintenance Tips on our web page for more information.
In Brainerd / Baxter, MN Northland and the Twin Cities Metro, contact CSI Custom Septic, Inc. at (763) 218-4769