Minimize Damage from Floodwaters
2016 is shaping up to be an incredibly wet, rain soaked year in several states including Minnesota. The images coming out of places like Baton Rouge LA have been heartwrenching to see. Crow Wing County MN has been no stranger to Flooding and more Heavy Rain may be on the way. Many residents have very real concerns when it comes to the affects of flooding on Onsite Septic Systems. Licensed Septic System Professionals at CSI Custom Septic, Inc. are here to assist property owners with Flood Damaged Septic Systems. The following 2 part article provides advice on how to Protect Septic Systems from Flood Damage and Minimize Damages from Rising Floodwaters.
Damage to On Site Sewer Systems
Your Septic System can not work effectively if it floods. While your Septic Tank or Drain Field is covered with flood waters, you should not be using the system at all. There is a possibility of Damage to On-site Sewer Systems from the overwhelming amount of water that flows into the system. The natural process of Sewage Treatment may slow down or stop completely if the soil becomes saturated.
10 Steps to Take Before Septic System Flooding
- Annual Septic System Inspections help to detect issues that may compound the affects of flooding
- Keep a Well-Maintained Septic System by following tips on the Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) website
- Reduce Water Usage leading up to a flooding event
- Slightly Mound the Soil on top of the septic tank and drainfield for better runoff of excess water
- Divert Water from gutters, sump pumps, driveways and roofs away from septic components
- Prevent Soil Compaction over the drainfield, septic tank, mound system and soil treatment area
- Have Septic Tank Emptied Regularly, but do not completely empty tank right before expected floods as this might cause the tank to floa
- Prevent Sewage Backup by installing a backflow preventer if you live in a flood prone area
- Cover Floor Drains with a sheet of poly and sandbags to weight it down
- Do Not Use Septic Tank Additives that could disrupt the organic treatment process
Licensed Septic System Professionals
Contact the Licensed Septic System Professionals at Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) for further help with protecting your sewage system from flood damage. We provide expert Septic Inspections and Repairs that may help to Minimize Damages from rising floodwaters. Check back for Part 2 where we offer tips on what to do if you encounter Sewer System Flooding.
In Crow Wing County – including Brainerd, Crosslake, Deerwood, Garrison and Nisswa MN, contact Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) at: 763-218-4769