Extreme Cold Minnesota Winters
it would appear that December 2018 will be ending with warm temperatures but what about January 2019? As anyone who has spent a Winter in Minnesota can tell you, the weather can turn on a dime and be very unpredictable. Extreme Cold is never out of the question over the next several months. Coupled with Light Snow Cover, different parts of a Septic System can Freeze Up without proper precautions to stop the costly problems from happening. As an Experienced Septic Services Contractor, CSI Custom Septic, Inc. provides Inspections and Repairs that could Prevent Frozen Septic Systems around the Coon Rapids, MN area and beyond.
Where Septic Systems Can Freeze
There are several different Types of Septic Systems being used every day across the north metro area. Each system is built with unique characteristics such as a Raised Septic Mound. However, the Typical Septic System has five main parts that are Prone to Freezing in Very Cold Conditions.
- Pipe carrying sewage wastewater from home to the septic tank.
- Septic tank or tanks buried under the earth.
- Lift or pump station used in some types of septic system setups.
- Pipe going from the septic tank outlet to the soil treatment area.
- Drain field system that filters partially treated water through the soil.
Septic System Freezing Prevention Tips
- Keep up with regular septic system maintenance and have the septic tank pumped when needed for optimal performance.
- Schedule a septic inspection to determine the level of materials inside of the tank and inspect for indications of problems.
- Add a deep layer of insulation over any vulnerable areas of the septic system. 8” to 12” of snow can act as a natural insulator. Use straw, mulch or hay if there is light snow cover.
- Consult with an experienced septic contractor to see if a layer of foam or other insulation should be added to the sewer line.
- Fix leaky plumbing fixtures that can drip and freeze inside of the pipe leading from the home to septic tank.
- When the temperatures get real cold, run the dishwasther, take a shower or just run warm water through the pipes and flush the toilet often.
- If you will be out of town, have someone stop by to check on the septic pipes and run hot water through the system.
- Don’t pour grease down the drain. It can become very thick in the cold.
- Stay off of the septic system with any type of vehicles. Don’t allow children and pets to play on top of septic equipment.
Experienced MN Septic Contractor
There is nothing like an experienced professional to help you with a difficult situation. Having more than twenty years of experience as a Minnesota Septic Contractor, CSI Custom Septic, Inc. is an expert in Septic Inspections and Septic Repairs. We work hard to keep your septic system operating all year round with services that are affordable and a good return on your investment.
In Coon Rapids, contact CSI Custom Septic, Inc. for Affordable Septic Services at (763) 218-4769.