Prepare Your Septic System For Holiday Visitors
This is the time of year when everyone seems to be busy with holiday celebrations and preparing for guests. While most people consider how their home looks to visitors, few think of how their Septic System will handle all of the added wastewater. There are things that Elk River, MN homeowners can do now to ensure that their holiday celebrations are not dampened by septic problems including a smelly, messy sewage backup. Try things such as reducing water usage and having a septic system inspection.
Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) has prepared a list of preparations to help you to avoid any septic system malfunctions.
Overloading Sewer Treatment System
Individual Septic Systems are not designed for a large influx of wastewater. They are made to handle ordinary household useage of showers, toilet flushing, dish washing, laundry and so forth. Entertaining people in your home can be very enjoyable but it can possibly overload your home’s sewer treatment system.
Ways To Prepare Before Guests Arrive
A little preparation can go a long ways towards avoiding a septic system disaster at the worst possible time. Now is a good time to evaluate your situation and see what steps make sense in your home.
- Install Low Flow Water Fixtures such as a dual flush toilet, low flow aerator in faucets or showerheads
- Shorten Shower Times now and until guests arrive
- Spread Out Loads of Laundry and avoid washing unnecessary items, or take laundry to a laundromat
- Stock Bathrooms with Septic-Safe toilet tissue and hand soaps (remove any anti-bacterial soaps or cleaning agents)
- Wash Dishes By Hand to reduce the amount of wastewater going down the drain
- Have Your Septic Tank Inspected to determine if it should be pumped out before the holiday gathering
- Avoid Flushing Toilet when it is not needed
- Consider Posting a Polite Sign asking guests not to flush items such as facial tissues, tampons, band-aids, dental floss or diapers – only human waste and toilet paper are safe to flush
Septic System Inspections
Contact Brad Krotzer at Custom Septic Inc. (CSI) for a professional Septic System Inspection before holiday guests arrive. We will conduct a thorough inspection to check for problems and let you know if the septic tank needs to be pumped out. Elk River, MN homeowners can prepare for heavy usage of your sewage treatment system by reducing shower times, reducing amounts of laundry and installing low flow fixtures to reduce water usage. It all adds up to less wastewater and fewer septic malfunctions.
Contact Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) for a Free Estimate at 763-218-4769
We are Licensed, Bonded and Insured.