Prevent Septic Trouble When Doing Laundry
Does doing the laundry harm your septic system? It can if you make simple mistakes that could overwhelm the septic tank or slow down the treatment process. CSI Custom Septic, Inc. wants to offer up some useful Tips to Prevent Septic Trouble When Doing Laundry. Every septic system owner should know Dos and Don’ts of everyday tasks that could help or harm the Organic Sewage Treatment Process and cost Rockford, MN homeowners more down the road. Something as simple as choosing the right kind of laundry detergent and spreading out loads of laundry throughout the week can make a big difference in how well your Septic System Functions.
Do’s and Don’ts of Laundry With a Septic System
As long as you Avoid Making Common Laundry Mistakes you won’t have much to worry about when it comes to the Health of Your Septic Tank System. Just take some extra precautions when there is excessive snow melt or flooding that could already be over saturating the soil drainage field. If possible, wait until the ponding water subsides before you allow large amounts of water into the septic system or use a laundromat for a while. Here are some other things that you Should or Shouldn’t do if you have an on-site septic:
- Don’t do all of your laundry in one day. Spread out the loads on several days to keep from overloading the drainfield.
- Don’t use powdered laundry detergent because they often contain fillers that can clump up and clog the soil in the leach field.
- Don’t use more detergent, cleaning agents or bleach than is recommended by the manufacturer. Less is better when it comes to adding any type of chemical to the septic system.
- Don’t use a liquid fabric softener. The chemicals that soften clothes and reduce static can disrupt the natural process inside of your septic tank.
- Do install a lint filter where the washing machine discharges water through a hose. Clean or replace the filter as directed. This can help to keep the frequency of septic tank pumping to a minimum.
- Do wash laundry using a liquid laundry detergent. Look for a formula with natural ingredients and that is low in surfactants and phosphates.
- Do use dryer sheets or white vinegar to soften clothes. About a half a cup of grain – white vinegar added to the rinse cycle can act a natural softener. Essential oil can be added for fragrance.
- Do use an energy efficient and water efficient washer if possible. Brush off excessive amounts of dirt before putting clothes into the machine.
Professional Septic Inspections and Repairs
Putting the preceding Laundry Tips into effect can save you from unexpected Septic Repairs. Know the overall health of your onsite sewage system is always important. Septic Inspections provide a good snapshot of how the septic tank and drainfield are working. Septic components such as filters, pumps and pipes can also be evaluated by a State Licensed Septic Inspector like CSI Custom Septic, Inc.
In Rockford, MN contact Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) to schedule your next Septic System Inspection at 763-218-4769. We are Licensed, Bonded and Insured.