Frozen Septic Tank | Pipes | Drainfield
Its Very Cold outside! While you may remember to bundle up the kids before sending them out into the subzero winter temperatures you probably won’t think of Protecting Your Septic System From Freezing. Luckily the team at CSI Custom Septic, Inc. is here to pass on some tips and strategies to help Prevent Frozen Sewer System Problems including a Sewage Backup in Otsego MN and the surrounding communities.
Prevent Sewer System Freeze Ups When Out Of Town
By the end of January many Minnesotans are ready to head out of town for someplace warmer. Here are 8 Helpful Tips to Avoid a Sewer Freeze Ups while you are away:
- Schedule a septic tank inspection to detect problems and determine if it needs to be pumped out.
- Keep up with regular septic system maintenance.
- Ask someone to run warm water through your plumbing every 2 to 3 days.
- Repair dripping or leaky plumbing fixtures that could cause a gradual buildup of ice inside of the pipes.
- Allow a heavy layer of snow coverage over the septic tank and soil abosorption area.
- In years with little snow coverage, add a thick layer (8” to 12”) of mulch, straw or leaves on top of septic system components.
- Consult with a certified septic professional to see if insulation should be added to sewage lines or septic tank.
- Keep off of all septic system components to avoid compacting the soil or freshly fallen snow.
Never Try To Thaw A Frozen Septic System This Way
If you suspect that you hava a Frozen Septic System it is time to call in a MPCA Certified Septic Contractor. Some people make the mistake of trying to thaw out the frozen tank, pipes or drainfield themselves only to make the problem worse.
- NEVER pump out sewage onto the ground
- NEVER try to start a fire above the septic tank
- NEVER pour antifreeze, salt or other additives into septic tank
- NEVER run water continuously into a frozen septic system
MPCA Certified Septic System Contractor
Whether you are planning a warm weather getaway or staying home this winter, make sure that your septic system is protected from the cold. As a MPCA Certified Septic System Contractor, CSI Custom Septic, Inc. provides Septic Inspections and Repairs to keep your Otsego MN property from experiencing a Sewer Backup from Frozen Pipes. Ask about Septic Design & Installation this spring.
In Otsego MN, contact Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) at: 763-218-4769