Private Sewer System Damage
Homes with a Water Softener and a Private Household Sewage System are very common all around the state of Minnesota. Which, makes Albertville MN homeowners wonder whether they should be concerned about the Effects of Water Softener Discharge on their own Septic Tank and Drainage Field. The MPCA Certified Septic Professionals at CSI Custom Septic, Inc. would like to help by providing information to MN residents.
Water Conditioner Compatible with Private Sewer System?
A Water Softener or Water Conditioning Appliance could have a negative impact on the efficiency and health of your septic system. So, does this mean that you should avoid installing a water conditioner in your home? The simple answer is a definitive Maybe – depending on the following factors:
- Do you have Hard Water with excess Calcium & Magnesium?
- Type of Septic System – is it Conventional or Advanced?
- Type of Water Softener – does it recharge based on Time or Usage?
- Size of Soil Absorption Area in your system’s Drainfield?
Effects of Water Softener Discharge on Septic System
In many cases the use of a Water Softener has no adverse effects on the health or longevity of a septic system. However, it is possible to end up with Damage or even a Malfunction from salt treated brine flowing into the Drainage Field.
Possible Adverse Affects of Water Softener Brine being introduced into a Septic System include:
- Salty Brine from a water conditioner may kill off bacteria that is needed to break down sewage materials.
- Water Softeners typically discharge 50 to 100 gallons of water while flushing out the tank. This can overload a Drainfield that is too small or not properly maintained.
- A Water Softener Malfunction can result in hundreds of gallons of water overwhelming the septic system and causing ponding in the yard.
Best Water Softener for Septic Tank System
There are Good Water Softeners and Bad Water Softeners when it comes to choosing what is best for your private sewage treatment system. An experienced Septic Contractor at CSI Custom Septic, Inc. can tell you if installing a water conditioner is advised for your individual septic system.
If your sewer system is the right type and size and in healthy condition, make sure that you choose a Septic System Friendly Water Softener. You will want a unit that recharges based on water Flow or Usage. Don’t choose a softener that automatically recharges based on time.
MPCA Certified Septic Professional
Consult with your MPCA Certified Septic Professional at CSI Custom Septic, Inc. to see if your existing septic system is compatible with a Water Softening Unit. An expert Septic Inspection can guide you in making the best choice for home’s water quality without compromising Sewage Treatment. Always remember to keep up with Regular Care to Maintain a healthy septic system for many years to come.
In Albertville MN, contact CSI Custom Septic, Inc. at (763) 218-4769