SepticSmart Week Public Outreach Program
Effective Sewage Treatment has never been more important in Andover MN and all across the state. Every year the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) designates one week in September for educating homeowners on the importance of Care & Maintenance of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems around the country. As a MPCA Certified Septic Professional, Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI) is happy to participate in SepticSmart Week 2016.
What is a Septic System?
A Private Sewage Collection System is commonly called a Septic System. They are used to collect, treat, recycle and dispose of household wastewater and sewage. Anything that goes down the drain or toilet will end up inside of the Septic Tank where the organic treatment process begins. Bacteria that can lives in the sewer, starts to decompose the organic matter. Liquid waste flows out from the tank, where it usually enters a Drainfield or Soil Treatment Area (STA).
Other names for a Septic System include:
- On-lot System
- Individual Onsite Sewer System
- Individual Sewage Disposal System
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment System (SSTS)
- Individual Sewage Treatment System (ISTS)
- Decentralized Wastewater Treatment System
- Private Sewage System
Types of Septic System Designs
Onsite Sewer Systems are quite common in many areas around the country. There are several different types, or designs of Minnesota Septic Systems. Mound Systems, Conventional Gravity Systems, Pressure Distribution Septic Systems and Sand Filter Systems are some of modern forms of sewage disposal. A MN Licensed Septic System Designer (like Custom Septic, Inc. (CSI)) can do a Comprehensive Site Analysis to determine the best type of design for your individual property.
Septic System Benefits
Smaller sized communities generally do not have access to a centralized sewer system. Individual property owners are responsible for managing their own wastewater. These On Site Sewer Systems provide several benefits for small and rural communities.
- Protects Human Health – by reducing the risk of disease causing pathogens entering into drinking water or contaminating surface water.
- Cost Effective Sewage Treatment Solution – it is much less expensive to design, install and maintain a septic system than invest in costly infrastructure to collect and treat wastewater.
- Environmentally Smart – pollutants are removed and water is recycled back into groundwater and aquifers.
MPCA Certified Septic Professional
2016 SepticSmart Week has come and gone but the lessoned learned can benefit Andover MN homeowners for years to come. Effective Sewage Treatment can protect the Health and Wealth of your family. That is why the EPA designates one week each year to partner with MPCA Certified Septic Professionals. Together we can raise awareness and educate the public on Private Sewage Systems and what they mean for small communities. Part 2 will look at Septic System Care and Maintenance Tips.